Friday, February 23, 2007

Down with ROFL

Two posts in one day! Take that Stu! That'll teach you to take me off your link list!

So I do a lot of IMing and as anyone who instant messages much, I've picked up several abbreviations that I use: brb is "be right back," IMO is "in my opinion," IMHO is the ridiculous version of IMO and stands for "in my honest opinion" (can you have a dishonest opinion?) and of course when something is funny there's lol or "laugh out loud." If something is really funny (or moderately funny for Steve Lyon) then you type ROFL which is "rolling on the floor laughing."

I can't speak for everyone, but I very rarely laugh out loud when I'm just reading something. In fact, even in really funny movies I rarely laugh out loud. And the last time I can remember rolling on the floor laughing was as a small child when my dad would tickle me 'till I couldn't breath (if you want to lol about this then listen to Dane Cook's bit on tickling).

For people like me, I'd like to introduce a new abbreviation that I for one am going to start using: ctm. It stands for "chuckling to myself." Sure, it might be kind of a pain at first as I have to explain it to everyone, but I only have a total of like 40-50 people in my messenger list and I only really IM regularly with maybe half those and then only half again ever type anything to make me ctm, so it won't be so bad. Maybe I'll just create a macro command that automatically pastes a link to this post so I don't have to type the explanation everytime.

Anyway, from now on, I'm standing for honesty in IM abbreviations. If I type ctm in an IM to you, you made me smile and chuckle to myself. If I type lol, you'll know you said something really funny that made me actually laugh out loud. And if you catch me typing ROFL then you better come find me quick because either someone has highjacked my IM ID or I've fallen prey to some sort of deranged tickle maniac who is strong enough to hold me down and tickle me 'till I can't breathe.

8 comments:

Megs said...

Are you calling our dad deranged? Also, couldn't it be in my humble opinion? Although I think that would also be a crock, because how often do you really feel humble about your opinions on IM? You aren't talking the person face to face, so you can be as cocky as you darn well want. But that's just IMHO (Which sounds like a medical plan to me.)

Megs said...

I haven't had any negative feedback about my white on black, but you never know. I'm banking on the cones being messed up.

Linda Winegar said...

I do love it when you lol, and I can't wait for the day that I tickle you till you can't breathe. ...gone to buy props to hold you down.

Anonymous said...

"BWAH HAHAHA!!!"

That's what I usually type if I actually laugh out loud. I really hate those IM acronyms. They just seem so... girly.

But if you ever receive, "MWAH HAHAHA!!!" from me, that's my evil laugh.

BTW (bah! I'll use it this one time), nice work on the double post! Back you go on my blog roll!

Unknown said...

Are you always easily shamed into bloggin?

Clark Winegar said...

If I were so easily "shamed" into blogging, there would be a LOT more posts here since you and Stu are always giving me a hard time about not posting.

Anonymous said...

Isn't blogging just a live journal for other people to see. Usually people feel bad if they don't write in their personal journals. But if you're going to be writing in your journal for others to see (blogging) then you feel bad twice. 1 because you didn't write in your journal and 2 because you're friend noticed you didn't write in your journal. That's why I think more people get into blogging. It's the same reason why people work out at a gym. So others can see them working out or to get motivated by others who also workout.

pantsmann said...

This post has proven to be my demise. As soon as I read it i was forced to start using ctm. This has caused no end to grief because of the need to educate the unlearned. Here is an example a typical exchange. Notice I was drawn into the morass. (names have been changed to protect the innocent, kind of)

something moderately funny was said then ...

me: ctm
Bob: country time of the mountains?
what does that have to do with this?
the cave bullrushers aren't here right now
or did they find you?
?!
Me: you can do better than that
Bob: oh my goodness!
RUN [pantsmann]!!!
Me: catatonic trade marks
cave troll mercenaries
cathartic tibetan massage
Bob: cardiac tripulation medicants
Me: cajun tick miners
Bob: chromium titanoid metals
cretinacious talking mothers
credited tile mowers
Me: carbon tetra-merthyolate
Bob: craving too much
jive
also know as ..
crud thats massive
in the best meaning of the word
Bob: collaborative timed mitigation?
Me: customary turtle migration
Bob: or collectively tabooed mores?
Me: counting ten mice
calico tit mouse
chocolate tiraMisu
Bob: is that the one from the Central Tanzania Mountains?
Me: yep and collects tiny mints
collared teal Macaws are their primary predator
Bob: cleaving tooth molars are their only defense
so I've heard
Me: ouch!
can't taste meat
cant touch mouth
Bob: caustic toxic molecules line the inside of their pallets
thus presenting a problem with continuous trepidatious malnutrition
a disease very rampant not only in the calico tit mouse but also in native Catalina tree mites



As you can see, much more trouble than its worth.